The Supermercados - the Alternative Rock band from the South West of England
The Supermercados are a four-piece alternative rock band from Ottery St Mary in the South West of England.
They formed just before the first lockdown, because they had to and give you the feeling of walking into a good rock club at the right time. Lyrically, they are trying to understand what it means to be part of a world that is diluted to the point that beautiful freedom and creativity are undermined by algorithms.
They are all about creating something beautiful out of adversity and using music to improve your mental health. They understand how music can help to process feelings and understand experiences, the universal hopes and fears we all experience. How music and lyrics can help get you through, how they stop you falling through the cracks.
Their sound has been compared to Kasabian, The Pixies and the Smashing Pumpkins jamming at a house party. They don’t take themselves too seriously as people, but are serious about their music which is created as a reaction to adversity.
The band bonded over Bob Dylan and Motorhead and comprises; Henry "2 For 1" Supermercado (guitar & vocals), Tom "Discount Aisle" Supermercado (guitar & keys), "2nd Hand Dave" Supermercado (bass) & Matt "Deli Counter" Supermercado (drums).
Their live shows have gone down a storm and they have recently opened live music venue, the King of Clubs in Ottery St Mary. This is a community venue that focuses on putting on the best local bands that play original music.
They also have created an online community of musicians worldwide through their "Ultimate Emerging Alt Rock" You Tube channel, which has 580 subscribers and over 36,000 plays since May 2021. With a tie-in to Phonic Fm, this platform also helps bands from all over the world get their music played on UK radio.
What People Say About Us
We're the worst people to ask what we sound like! We've had a lot of listener feedback, so here are some things other people say about how we sound to them. How our music makes them feel, who people tell us they think we sound like and what they think of our remixes. Leave us a Facebook, Twitter or Instagram post and let us know what you think!
The Best Comments Yet!!!
"You guys are very, very, very good. Tight as fuck. Explosive, yet listenable. Aggressive but musical. Funny, artistic, unserious, virtuosic. You guys are the whole package and the real deal"
“Absolutely wonderful...an absolute revelation, I do not think you can get much better than that, listen out for it, stunning!” DJ Gordon Oldfart Phonic Fm
“Great song they have sent in. They come from Ottery St Mary, wonder if they take part in the running with barrels, they are pretty hard over there”. Peter Cartright, Riviera FM
"A vigorous indie rock banger with divine guitar riffs, dynamic vocals, never ending energy, that should be played at maximum volume. By the way, do you remember S*M*A*S*H?" Last Day Deaf
How Do We Make You Feel?
- “The Supermercados are the feeling of walking into a good rock club at the right time”
- “They are a love of old records, old-school progressive tunes that sound like summer”
- "This should be the main theme for the next Silent Hill Game"
- “They’ll be the first song of the day to make you smile”
- “They capture emotions that certain memories bring.”
- “A journey through the music that’s mattered the most to them”
- “They are your mis-spent teenage years, some of the best & worst days of your life”
- "All I see is aliens"
- "British Invasion Supermercado style…he’ll ya"
- "Music for driving with windows down"
What The Remixes Sound Like?
- “Very interesting. Reminds me a lot of Moby's experimental stuff, with undertones of Joy Division/New Order. “
- “Luis Buñuel would be proud”
- “That's a bit like Pink Floyd time”
- “Very cool...great ideas here...pretty unique/eclectic mix of stuff going on”
- “Reminds me of Aphex Twin ....”
- “Yo this is some post punk stuff”
- “Very cool remix; some post punk, some deep bass, some glitchy vox, then a catchy upbeat drum beat to keep it pushing and moving. I'm into it”
- “It sounds good, reminds a little about Rage Against the Machine!”
- “Beck, meets Pink Floyd”
What Do We Sound Like?
- "This has Led Zeppelin vibes and I love it. Great job!"
- Gives me big Franz Ferdinand meets Blondie vibes
- This sounds like Decembrist’s meets Violent Femmes
- i like this a lot, reminds me of the Arctic Monkeys .. hope thats ok to say that
- Had a Bob Dylan vibe
- “These drums sound so vintage, it seems to me that they sound similar to The Who.”
- “Cool British rock, and I love British rock.”
- “Definitely bringing to mind the excellent Hoodoo Gurus with a taste of Cracker.”
- “Reminded me of the old Billy Idol songs!”
- “Got that Blur/Supergrass vibe going on”
- “I'm hearing some Bowie influence, very cool!”
- “Good groove. Reminds me a bit of early Chilli Peppers”
- That is one fucking good song, reminds me of Love it to Death era Alice Cooper
- “Love the soft punk vibe of this, Stephen Malkmus, Pavement and Smashing Pumpkins”
- “Reminds me of SilverSun pickups, but less cringe”
- “Very Psychedelic!!" & “Very new wave sounding”
- “Reminded me of EMF for some reason”
- “Somehow I get the vibe of Sugar Ray. “
- “It's like if the Clash and the Cars had a baby then sent the baby to summer camp when it became a teenager”
- “I hear a bit of Oasis in in your music! I like it!”
- “Reminds me of Graham Parker in a good way.”
- “Mott The Hoople pre Dudes era, only better"
- “It kind of reminds me of early "Cure" , takes me back to my punk days, some of the best & worst of my life!”